Arlington County Civic Engagement Forum

In this forum, you can submit ideas, vote on existing ideas, or add comments for how you would like to see Arlington County Government engage the public. We would like you to share your ideas on what civic engagement and open government mean to you.

This forum is brought to you by a group of County employees who are working on a continuing education project whose goal is to recommend opportunities for civic engagement to County management in June 2011. This online conversation is part of our data collection process and will help us in forming our recommendation for June. This blog will close on May 31, 2011 at 5pm EST.

Thank you for contributing to this forum!

How can Arlington County make it easier for you to participate in government?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Internal Volunteer Program

When working as an Americorps volunteer, engagment was seen as a multi-step process. We would take youth through week long 'civic engagement' camps to have them identify problems in their community and then design a project that addressed a particular issue (be it a letter writing campaign, volunteer project, etc).

Volunteering became a huge aspect of each project because it brought residents and county employees together, but also made complex issues, such as homelessness, real for the children in the camps. My recommendation is to create an internal volunteer program for employees similar to corporate volunteer programs. Maybe give employees…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Improve the county's website

The website could be more helpful in several respects: (1) The current search engine is not sophisticated and brings up too many responses to elementary requests. It is especially poor at directing inquiries to the many ancillary websites that keep being created for various county programs (walking, transit, biking, planning and so on). (2) Departmental descriptions are inadequate. One should be able to find a basic organizational chart, with names and contact information, for every department. DES is especially opaque. (3) Information on county-sponsored meetings, including commissions' meetings, should be available in one place. (Yes I know how challenging this…

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Community partnerships

Encourage community centers to partner with local citizen advocacy groups on current county programs or one specific to that neighborhood.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • You are researching the wrong topic.

The Arlington Way is alive & well. Anyone who wishes to participate can fron the neighborhood level to the broader county level. The more important question not being addressed is what does the government need to do to be more responsive to citizens? No one answers the phone numbers listed on the county website. Try it and you'll see what I mean. You leave messages and no one answers unless you contact the County Board office and they insist the employees call back. The County wants every one to use computers to communicate, but messages sit in County inboxes with…

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Create a Civic Engagement tab and page.

What are the key ways in which citizen participation would be welcomed and beneficial?
            Seems to me, the answer includes: (1) voting when there are elections, (2) joining county citizens advisory groups (3) offering input to government at all levels when input is needed on particular issues, and (4) volunteering in county offices. One key way to encourage this participation is organizing the information. A tab and page that makes clear civic participation is a priority, and how the county would like citizens to engage the county at all levels would be great. Pieces of this info are available in…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Live blog and/or videocast county meetings

Honestly, Arlington county does a pretty good job in my opinion in engaging its citizens. But, if you're looking to do more, consider live blogging and/or videocasting meetings. Any meeting that allows citizens time to comment should also accept input from citizens via twitter or other modern forms of electronic communication.

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →
              • Offer child-care at major community meetings.

Lack of child care is a large obstacle for the engagement of new parents, skewing the community feedback at meetings toward young single professionals and older retirees. While doing so at all meeting would likely be cost prohibitive, offering child care at major community meetings would go a long way toward encouraging a more representative spectrum of public feedback.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)